Thursday, February 17, 2005

What is citizenship

Have you ever read Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein? It is a cool book. It has almost nothing to do with the lame movie. He raises the question of citizenship. One cannot vote, hold office or have other priviledges without serving in the armed forces first. Interesting idea - how did I become a citizen? I was born. I didn't make any choices or contracts. The Pledge of Allegiance recited by school children is not binding. A mexican girl whose baby is born on this side of the border has granted him citizenship. The 14th Amendment says that is all it takes. Is it time to re-think that plan? (We got rid of the 18th Amendment. I am in favor of getting rid of the 16th and 17th but that is another topic)

I had to sign HOA agreements to buy my house. I gave consent to pay State, county, local taxes when I bought my house in this town. But when did I agree to Social Security? What sort of contract law would uphold this arrangement where they take money against my will? They don't even promise to pay it back or supply other benefit. It is a scam. If I started YOUR SECURITY INC. as a business under the same principles I would be thrown in jail.

So how does one become a citizen and give consent to live in the community in which they are born? I think the community has authority to enforce its rules. A town can give a ticket to a speeder who comes through. A murderer will be hunted down even though he never agreed to the community rules not to kill anyone. But can that apply to a nation wide ponzi scheme sold as 'never to be used as retirement' charity plan using 'never to be used as identity' cards?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:48 AM

    One of my law school professors joked that the only difference between insurance companies and Social Security is that insurance companies are betting that you will live and Social Security is betting that you will die. Anyway, I thought it was funny.

    Morris

    ReplyDelete