Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Religious schools

From comments: The only alternatives are either private or home schooling. Private schools can be cost prohibitive for many families or depending on the community, the majority of the private schools can be of a different faith, which can be uncomfortable for some people. I don't know that I would send my kids to a Catholic or Baptist (or whatever) private school. I don't like home schooling either. So what is a parent like me to do?


See the problem? If someone isn't Catholic then they are not comfortable with idea of sending their kids to a catholic private school. Why then is it okay to send them to school where they are told there is no God? Maybe the obvious contrast is easier to correct and teach than the confusion of slightly different doctrines among churches. My children are young and mostly focused on basics like grammar and multiplication but even now there are getting reading assignments to test their comprehension that include political/moral statements. One involved a thief running away from the scene. Multiple choice answers led reader to conclude that you shouldn’t get involved and let the police handle it. That’s garbage. Another involved global warming and how people are destroying the world. My kids don’t believe that because I have taught them better. Another incident with a cousin: teacher contradicted student who stated belief that Adam and Eve were first people on the earth. It starts early. It can be corrected but why do we allow it to happen? They should be reinforcing Sunday school not opposing it. Education cannot be separated from religious teaching. All the real lessons are the moral ones. Why shouldn’t they cheat on tests? Why shouldn’t the biggest kid be first in line? Why sit quietly and respect the teacher?

What don’t you like about home schooling? Private schools don’t have to be expensive. If people could get their tax money back that goes to schools they could use that to pay tuition.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:47 PM

    "If people could get their tax money back that goes to schools they could use that to pay tuition."

    Big "if." For give my ignorance, but how much does this happen? Truth be told, there probably are some religious private schools I would be comfortable with. But there are also churches out there that are hostile towards Mormons and I would be very hesitant to put my child in a school of that faith. I think I would prefer a "godless" school over that school.

    But even if cost was not an issue, I still would probably be hesitant to place my kid in a school if he/she could attent a public school that offered sports and other programs that my kid was interested in but not found at a nearby private school. But if there was a private school with the right atmosphere that offered the things my kid wanted and cost/travel was manageable I wouldn't be opposed.

    I guess what I don't like about home schooling is that the people I have known that were a product of home schooling (anmittedly a small group) I would consider...I am searching for the right phrase...less socially adept? a little wierd? a little sheltered? I am not sure if I have put my finger on it. I have never met a home schooled kid who I thought, "I would want my kid to turn out like this kid." If it turns out that you were home schooled, this opinion will change somewhat. I think you are great.

    Plus, I think the demands of home schooling would be too much for Malea. I don't think she has the inclination or the eneregy to do that and I wouldn't either if I was her. I guess I just don't think that placing kids in public school is dangling them over a moral ledge and that, with the right home/religious environment, most kids will come through fine. There are no guarantees of course, but I guess I just trust that my kids will come through it okay like their parents and relatives and the vast mojority of people do.

    I hope none of this comes across as me thinking everything about public schools is great. That is not the case.

    Also, I tried to post something else on the other entry and I didn't see it pop up yet. I am hoping it will. And I hope this will too.

    Morris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:50 PM

    I think when people meet me for the first time, they think I am a product of Gap and maybe even high maintance with my purple crocodile purse and pedicure toes. I have big city written all over me. So I love to watch their reaction when I tell them I am from a very small town in Alaska. Didn't have Gap,MTV,or much pop culture. Just plenty of snow and lots of family time especialy since I was home schooled 8-12 grade. I wouldn't change anything if I could. For the most part I really like the person I have become. Oh I just remembered I was home schooled in kindergarten too, and I don't think I am weird. Maybe I can give home schoolers a good name:)

    Linette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:58 PM

    Linette, you are not weird. And, yes, you do give home schoolers a good name. I am glad I know that you were home schooled partly. Apart from you, this has been my experience with people who have benen home schooled.

    In elementary school there was a kid in my neighborhood who was home schooled. I didn't get why he didn't play with anyone else in the neighborhood and I also didn't get why he got to play in his front yard while I walked to school. Anyway, I hope he had his own circle of friends outside the neighborhood kids (I don't think we were bad kids).

    In high school I knew a guy who didn't do much of anything in high school and so decided to be home schooled. If he put forth as much effort in home schooling as he seemed to put forth in high school, I wonder how effective it was for him. Maybe it was what he needed, I don't know. I just remember thinking, "you ain't doing anything here, what makes you think you will do anything at home?"

    Lastly, when I was serving a mission I knew a family who home schooled their 7 kids. They lived probably about 15 miles outside a town of 1,000 in Wyoming. The family was great (I thought the boys were a little wierd and the girls a little bit know-it-all but they were a wonderful family) but there seemed to be very little order to the home schooling (we spent a lot of time with the family) and the 11 year old boy tried to convince me that public schools were evil. I thought that was wierd considering he had never attended one and I had for 13 years and ended up a reasonably intelligent, reasonably hardworking, patriotic American who managed to stay spiritually and morally qualified to serve a mission.

    And now I know you. And I am glad I do. I can add to my list Linette who was homeschooled in kindergarten and 8-12 grade and turned out as wonderful as any parent could ever hope their child would turn out.

    Morris

    ReplyDelete