Friday, March 24, 2006

Missouri Compromise

I sent the following question to History According to Bob. Hopefully he will respond in his podcast (which I highly recommend).


I have a question about the Missouri Compromise and later actions taken to repeal it.

I read in the Dred Scott decision (1857) that Justice Taney declared the Missouri Compromise of 1820 unconstitutional. Odd that, and wasn't it already repealed because of the Kansas- Nebraska Act (1854)? And the Compromise of 1850 appears to negate most of the 1820 Compromise. The deal struck in 1820 seems the best of them to me. Situations change but why go back and destroy what seemed a good idea? Doesn't seem like the best compromise is to throw out all the last compromises that have kept the peace.

Do you have a podcast on this or book to suggest on the topic?

1 comment:

  1. Bob responded in his podcast "Answers 8"

    http://summahistorica.podlot.net/answers8.mp3

    I think it is about 10 minutes in

    ReplyDelete