Friday, June 17, 2005

Pentagon Press Conference

I saw a Pentagon press conference last night that drove me nuts. The General was very impressive and handled himself well. Those commanders are very cool but my wife made me shut it off because the reporters questions were so annoying. She said she is going to ban me from C-span. The general and the pentagon spokesman tried to educate them but they didn't care. I figured he should give them a schooling they couldn't miss - step off the stand and pummel them! I am not talking about infringement of freedom of the press. Just punishment of stupidity. They asked when the soldiers were coming home. Why were so many being injured and killed? Is the "insurgency" becoming a "jihad"? On and on and on. He tried so hard to be nice, it was embarrassing. I should look up his name again. This is what I would have told the reporters:

Our mission was to get rid of Saddam. That was easy and only took a few weeks. Our next mission was to put the country under our thumb until we could figure out if anyone was on our side. We found a couple guys we could tolerate so our current mission is to keep them alive long enough to establish a government. We kill as many terrorists as we can along the way.

The generals best line came from a "Vietnam quagmire" question. He basically recounted the history that Americans were vastly superior in every engagement but that was not the war. It did not matter. The true battle was for support of the American people. The communists and liberals and media (but I repeat myself) were much more aggressive and slowly wore their enemy down until we gave up and left. He said he would leave when the President tells him to and prays for the support of America until that day.
If the press wasn't helping the enemy than that day might come sooner. The question shouldn't be when are the troops coming home but when will we let them win.

No comments:

Post a Comment