Monday, March 07, 2005

North Korea is Starving

People in North Korea are starving to death.

The population is 22.7 million people. Estimates are that 3.5 million died from starvation between 1995 and 1999. (BBC report) It has only got worse since then. No one is allowed in to help because communists are afraid they will report how bad it is. No food available this year because none was planted. Some among 300,000 who escaped to China (can you imagine calling that escape?) report cannibalism.
All starvation is political, not an environmental failure. (The goal of communism is death so the plan is working.)

Why do I write this? Conversation came up at work that US is discussing new missile designs. They asked what we need a new missile for. Someone answered, "To kill Koreans". I answered that they are dying fast enough already. Only one other person in the room had heard that North Koreans have been starving for years. They asked me for a source since they didn't know about it. I was a little perplexed so I did some research. I was amazed to find that no news agencies report starvation. Blogs and "right-wing" sites are full of details. Nothing anywhere else. Do a search and you will find nothing current. There are a few old stories from 1995 and 1998 about trouble with a small harvest, labor management and such. There are a few warnings that Koreans may face some troubles in winter due to poor harvest. A couple stories that North Koreans face same struggles again this year.

Same struggles? Another million people starved to death? Another year where no one was allowed to own a farm and eat the food they grow? Amazing. Year after year. Now I know why no one in the room had heard of it. It isn't reported on TV news or their online shadows. The estimates are that nearly 1 in 10 have died. If there is ever an accounting of how bad this I bet it will be more like 1 out 4

Remember people laughing when President Bush gave the axis of evil speech and said that North Korea must change? It wasn't just about North Korea making nukes from the power plants we built for them.

I don't want to ruin anyone's day - this stuff is misery. I don't know how to fix the problem but I think it is evil to ignore it completely. Awareness helps.
People in North Korea are starving to death.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:22 PM

    Disturbing... I haven't heard much on Sudan lately either. Last I read the crazy dictator was slaughtering the farmers, kicking out foreign interests
    and raking in funds from China.
    If North Korea completely self destructs what will keep China from...
    Nevermind I'm sure North Korea is little more than a hand puppet for China anyway.
    -Mel

    ReplyDelete